Friday, August 1, 2008

Thing #15

Library 2.0 is overwhelming. After attending TLA in 2007, I felt that I understood it fairly well. After reading the articles and perspectives, I have a whole new view of Library 2.0. One thought that crossed my mind is that it is a combination of many things, and it is always changing. Also, each individual, depending on their perceptions and needs, defines Library 2.0. After watching the video, I have a deeper understanding that the way people are learning and want to learn is changing. As librarians we must accommodate those needs. Libraries will be changing, and I feel that I want to continue with my professional development to adapt to these changes. Consequently, I am thankful for 23 Things because it has raised my awareness of all the aspects of Library 2.0.

Truthfully, I have a hard time with blogging. Blogging is like public journaling. My concept of journaling is like writing in a diary where your own thoughts are written down but are not made public. However, to participate in this change, my ideas about writing must change. When choosing a doctor, I would want one who consults with other experts before making decisions about my treatment. So, I can see how this exchange, discussion, and contribution of ideas and opinions can be enlightning.

David Warlick writes, "However, if you want to know what people think about a thing, what the anticipate, what they love, what they hate, what they don’t understand, or what they think they understand — then you go to Technorati." After reading this, I wondered how do you decide who is the expert? If everyone is writing about what they think, where are the facts? I guess after reading everyone else's opinions, a person makes decisions as to what is important to him/her.

No comments: